|COLONEL WALTER O. GORDON|
Colonel Walter O. Gordon is the mobilization assistant to the Commander, Curtis E. LeMay Center for Doctrine Development and Education, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. The center is responsible for the research, development, and production of Air Force basic and operational doctrine and for critical leadership and input for joint and multinational doctrine development activities. The center is also responsible for advocating the proper doctrinal representation of air and space power in exercise scenarios, war games, models and simulations, and providing policy and guidance to ensure a comprehensive dissemination of Air Force doctrine through systematic doctrine education and focused outreach.
Colonel Gordon graduated from the University at Buffalo with Bachelor and Master of Science degrees in Aerospace Engineering and was commissioned at the Academy of Military Science. He has served as a flight and flying squadron commander, leading the 328th Airlift Squadron when it became the first combat delivery C 130 squadron in the Air Force Reserve to be fully mission qualified in night vision goggle airland operations. His last unit assignment was Inspector General, 914th Airlift Wing, Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station, N.Y. Prior to assuming his current position, he was the senior individual mobilization augmentee to the Director, Global Innovation and Strategy Center, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
1980 Bachelor of Science degree, Aerospace Engineering, University at Buffalo
1993 Master of Science degree, Aerospace Engineering, University at Buffalo
1994 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1997 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Academic Instructor School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University
2004 Director Mobility Forces Course, Air Mobility Warfare Center
2005 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of Science degree, Strategic Studies, Air War College
2009 Senior Leadership Course, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2011 National Security Management Course, Syracuse University
2012 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
1. March 1984 - February 1985, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. December 1986 - September 1990, C-130E copilot, 914th Airlift Wing, Niagara Falls, N.Y.
3. October 1990 - April 1991, Current Operations officer, 1650th Tactical Airlift Wing Provisional, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
4. May 1991 - July 1996, C-130H aircraft commander, 914th Airlift Wing, Niagara Falls, N.Y.
5. August 1996 - June 1997, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. July 1997 - June 1998, Reserve Advisor to the Dean of Education, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. July 1998 - January 2000, flight commander, 914th Airlift Wing, Niagara Falls, N.Y.
8. February 2000 - July 2003, commander, 328th Airlift Squadron, Niagara Falls, N.Y.
9. March 2003 - April 2003, commander, 328th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, King Faisal Air Base, Tabuk, Saudi Arabia
10. May 2003 - June 2003, deputy commander, 772nd Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, Seeb North AB, Oman
11. July 2003 - January 2004, special assistant to the commander, 914th Airlift Wing, Niagara Falls, N.Y.
12. February 2004 - July 2004, Wing Inspector General, 914th Airlift Wing, Niagara Falls, N.Y.
13. July 2004 - June 2005, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. July 2005 - January 2006, Advisor for Reserve Affairs to the Director, Air Force Studies and Analyses Agency, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C.
15. February 2006 - September 2008, Reserve Advisor to the Director, Studies and Analyses, Assessments and Lessons Learned (A9), Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. October 2008 - September 2009, Senior IMA to the Director, Global Innovation and Strategy Center, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
17. September 2009 - present, mobilization assistant to the Commander, Curtis E. LeMay Center for Doctrine Development and Education, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 2,500
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, C-130E/H2/H2.5/H3
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with valor device and two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with two bronze stars
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb. 16, 1984
First Lieutenant Feb. 16, 1987
Captain Feb. 16, 1991
Major March 10, 1995
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 1999
Colonel July 1, 2003
(Current as of May 2012)