REDUCED RETIREMENT AGE|
Printable Fact Sheet
Authority: Fiscal 2008 National Defense Authorization Act, Section 647, Commencement of Receipt of Non-Regular Service Retired Pay by Members of the Ready Reserve on Active Federal Status or Active Duty for Significant Periods.
Provision: Amends Title 10, U.S.C., Section 12731. Effective date: Jan. 29, 2008. Retroactive clause: None. Not retroactive to any periods of service before that date.
Law reduces eligibility age for receipt of Reserve retired pay by three months for each aggregate of 90 days of qualifying active duty performed within a fiscal year. Eligibility age cannot be reduced below age 50
- Involuntary mobilization (Call or order to active duty under Title 10, U.S.C., Sections 688, 12301(a), 12302, 12304, 12305, 12406, or any other provision of law during a war or national emergency declared by the President or Congress).
- Voluntary active duty (Call or order to active duty under Title 10, U.S.C., Section 12301(d)).
- Includes MPA or RPA provided such active duty is performed under 12301(d).
- Full-time National Guard duty under a call to active service authorized by the President or Secretary of Defense under Title 32, U.S.C., Section 502(f) for purposed of responding to a national emergency declared by the President or supported by Federal funds.
NOTE: Airmen are encouraged to maintain copies of their active duty orders, in case of a discrepancy.
- Active Guard Reserve (AGR).
- Annual Tour (Title 10, U.S.C., Section 12301(b).
- Captive status (Title 10, U.S.C., Section 12301(g).
- Medical treatment/medical evaluation for disability purposes or medical study (Title 10, U.S.C., Section 12301(h).
- As a Airmen not assigned to or participating satisfactorily in units (Title 10, U.S.C., 12303).
- Under active duty agreements (Title 10, U.S.C., Section 12311).
- Disciplinary/courts martial (Title 10, U.S.C., Section 12315).
- Muster duty (Title 10, U.S.C., Section 12319).
Impact on Benefits:
Airmen may contact HQ ARPC, at 800-525-0102 or through vPC-GR, for clarification. Please include all details of your request.
- Airmen will receive all retired pay benefits (e.g., commissary, base exchange, base services, etc) except
- Medical benefits are deferred until age 60.
- Blue ID card (ID card will show Airmen are not entitled to medical until age 60. At age 60, they will need to go to nearest military facility to obtain another blue ID card bestowing the medical benefit).
- Premiums for the Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Plan will be deducted from retired pay upon the age the member starts drawing pay.
Total Force Service Center-Aurora
(800) 525-0102 // DSN 847-3294