Colonel Michael P. Burns is the Director, Reserve of the Air Force Selection Board Secretariat, Headquarters Air Reserve Personnel Center, Buckley Air Force Base, Colo. As the Director, he is responsible for planning, conducting and administering Reserve Officer Personnel Management Act promotion selection boards and various special boards on behalf of the Secretary of the Air Force, in compliance with law, policies and procedures.
Colonel Burns was commissioned a second lieutenant upon graduation from the Reserve Officer Training Corps, Detachment 415 at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn., in August 1991. He has served in a variety of career fields and has continuously served on active duty, as a traditional reservist, Air Reserve Technician and Active Guard and Reserve. He has a solid foundation in Manpower, Personnel, and Services as a graduated Mission Support Squadron commander and twice as Mission Support Group commander prior to assuming his current duties.
1991 Bachelor of Arts degree in economics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn.
1997 Masters of Business Administration, Chapman University, Orange, Calif.
1999 Squadron Officer School, Air University
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Air University
2008 Air War College, Air University
2010 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College
2013 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, N.C.
1. August 1991 - September 1993, financial analyst, Headquarters Civil Air Patrol, Maxwell Air AFB, Ala.
2. September 1993 - May 1995, cost analyst, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
3. May 1995 - November 1995, budget analyst, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
4. November 1995 - July 1997, deputy chief of program control, Defense Support Program, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
5. September 1997 - May 2002, chief of financial management, 934th Airlift Wing, Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport Air Reserve Station, Minneapolis, Minn.
6. May 2002 - May 2004, wing executive officer, 934th Airlift Wing, Minneapolis-St. Paul International IAARS, Minneapolis, Minn.
7. May 2004 - January 2007, Commander, 315th Mission Support Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
8. January 2007 – July 2012, Commander, 302nd Mission Support Group, Peterson AFB, Colo.
9. July 2012-May 2014, Commander, 934th Mission Support Group, Minneapolis-St. Paul IAP, ARS, Minn.
10. May 2014 - May 2017, Director, Assignments Directorate, HQ Air Reserve Personnel Center, Buckley AFB, Colo.
11. June 2017 - present, Director, Reserve of the Air Force Selection Board Secretariat, Headquarters Air Reserve Personnel Center, Buckley Air Force Base, Colo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with Bronze Star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service Award
Armed Force Reserve Medal with two "M" devices
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sept. 14, 1991
First Lieutenant Sept. 14, 1993
Captain Sept. 14, 1995
Major May 6, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 18, 2006
Colonel March 2, 2011
(Current as of June 2017)