HomeServicesGuard-Reserve FactsheetsFact SheetsDisplay

Retired Pay Information

Reserve Retired Pay Application

Approximately four months prior to your retired pay effective date, HQ ARPC will notify you of your eligibility for retired pay, to include general pay information and how to initiate the process.  It is critical to maintain a current address with HQ ARPC, via vPC-GR, ARPC Form 69 or by calling 800-525-0102. NOTE: Former Members, who are eligible to receive Reserve retired pay, must contact HQ ARPC to apply.
To apply for Reserve retired pay, complete the ARPC Form 83 and DD Form 2656 below. Both of these forms must be received by HQ ARPC to establish the retired pay account. These forms should be submitted at least 30 days, but not earlier than six months before the retired pay effective date (normally the Airman's 60th birthday).
Airmen may elect retired pay to begin on their retired pay eligibility date normally the 60th birthday or any date thereafter. There is a statute of limitation of six years on retroactive retired pay (Barring Act).

The 2008 National Defense Authorization Act directs that age 60 shall be reduced by three months for each aggregate of 90 days of active duty service performed supporting a contingency after Jan. 28, 2008. The total reduced shall not be below 50 years of age.

Direct Deposit is the method used by the Air Force to distribute pay to Airmen. Normally, the first deposit will be on the first day of the month after the month which includes their retired pay effective date. However, if an Airman participates right up to his or her retired pay effective date, all final points, and service must be received before pay can be finalized. In such cases, allow 60 days after the retired pay effective date for retired pay to begin.

For Airmen to be credited with points and service earned after their 60th birthday, they must request a waiver through the chain of command. Final approval is the Secretary of the Air Force (Title 10 U.S.C., Section 12308).

Retired pay is computed on the number of retirement points multiplied by the point value (based on Airman's highest grade held and years of service) for each point. Longevity credit continues for members of the Retired Reserve until they are in retired pay status (DOD Financial Management Regulation, DOD 7000.14-R, Part 1, paragraph 10101e).

Retired Pay Grade: Information on Retired Pay Grade

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and Concurrent Retirement Disability Pay (CRDP): Programs passed by Congress to allow eligible military retirees to receive additional monthly entitlements. The purpose of these entitlements is to recover some or all of the waived retired pay that was exchanged for VA disability compensation. For more information visit or call toll free at 877-327-4457.

Retired Pay Offset: VSI, SSB, and certain other separation payments, such as severance pay, were offered to active duty military members in an effort to reduce manpower in certain career fields, primarily during the 1990s. Because federal law prohibits military members from receiving both separation and retirement payments for the same period of service, provisions of these programs included repayment should an individual join the Ready Reserve or return to active duty and earn status as a military retiree. The recoupment is limited to the gross amount of separation pay and is deducted from their Reserve retired pay. For more information visit or call 800-321-1080 or 216-522-5955.

Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP):

If Airmen elected either Option B or Option C under the Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Plan (RCSBP), that election is still in effect. If there has been a change in marital status or death of beneficiary, include a copy of the death certificate or divorce decree along with the retired pay application forms.

If Airmen elected Option A, or made no election under the RCSBP, then complete Sections IX and XI of the DD Form 2656 at this time and return to HQ ARPC/DPPR to ensure proper coverage. If Airmen are married and fail to make a valid election, the cost of maximum SBP participation will automatically be withheld from the monthly retired pay. Any retiree who is age 70 or older and whose retired pay has been reduced for SBP premiums for at least 360 months will qualify to have their SBP costs terminated. Additional information on SBP.

An Airman may elect to discontinue SBP at any time during the one-year period beginning on the second anniversary of the date on which payment of retired pay begins. Despite discontinuation of coverage, Airmen shall continue to pay monthly premiums associated with the RCSBP coverage received prior to retired pay effective date. For more information visit or call toll free at 800-321-1080.

Reserve Retirement/Civil Service: Active-duty service can be applied toward both a Civil Service Retirement and a Reserve retirement. Therefore, Civil Service employees who will be receiving retired pay under Title 10, U.S.C., Section 12731 (Reserve retirement) will not be affected in the crediting of military service under the Civil Service Retirement Law, nor will they receive a reduced military pension (Title 10 U.S.C., Section 12736).

Receiving Retired Pay: Airmen who are already receiving retired pay need to call the Defense Finance and Accounting Service-Cleveland Center (DFAS-CL) (800-321-1080 or 216-522-5955) for information regarding retired pay or to make changes (withholdings, address, direct deposit information). Changes can also be sent to DFAS-CL, U.S. Military Retirement Pay, P.O. Box 7130, London, KY 40742-7130.

  • Possess an ID card, DD Form 2 (Retired Blue)
  • Medical (at age 60); contact TRICARE at
  • Space Available Travel
    • CONUS and Overseas
    • Eligible family members must travel with the sponsor
  • Participate in open mess functions, if authorized by the installation commander
  • Wear of the uniform on appropriate occasions
  • Lodging (Space Available)
  • Full access to base exchange and commissary facilities
Convert SGLI to VGLI under the Veteran's Group Life Insurance program NOTE: Information and application may be obtained by visiting Office of Servicemember's Group Life Insurance or by calling 800-419-1473.

Airmen may contact HQ ARPC, at 800-525-0102 or through vPC-GR, for more information. Please include all details of your request.