Reduced Retirement Age
Published January 05, 2016
||Fiscal 2008 National Defense Authorization Act, Section 647, Commencement of Receipt of Non-Regular Service Retired Pay by Members of the Ready Reserve on Active Federal Status or Active Duty for Significant Periods
||Jan. 29, 2008
||Amends Title 10, U.S.C., Section 12731. It reduces eligibility age for receipt of retired pay by three months for each aggregate of 90 days of qualifying active duty within the fiscal year. Eligibility age cannot be reduced below age 50
||Ready Reserve Airmen (ANG, unit, IMA, and IRR)
Involuntary mobilization - call or order to active duty under Title 10, U.S.C., Sections 688, 12301(a), 12302, 12304, 12305, 12406, or any other provision of law during a war or national emergency declared by the President or Congress. Qualifying active duty may be combined between consecutive fiscal years beginning with the FY15/FY16 crossover.
Voluntary active duty - call or order to active duty under Title 10, U.S.C., Section 12301(d)). Includes MPA or RPA provided such active duty is performed under 12301(d).
Full-time National Guard duty under a call to active service authorized by the president or secretary of defense under Title 32, U.S.C., Section 502(f) for purposes of responding to a national emergency declared by the president or a national emergency supported by federal funds.
Medical treatment/medical evaluation for disability purposes or medical study, Title 10, U.S.C., Section 12301(h)(1).
- Active Guard Reserve (AGR) (Title 10, U.S.C., Sect. 12310)
- Annual Tour (Title 10, U.S.C., Sect. 12301(b))
- Captive status (Title 10, U.S.C., Sect. 12301(g))
- Call to active duty (Title 10, U.S.C., Sect. 688)
- As an Airmen not assigned to or participating satisfactorily in units (Title 10, U.S.C., 12303)
- Under active duty agreement (Title 10, U.S.C., Sect. 12311)
- Disciplinary/courts martial (Title 10, U.S.C., Sect. 12315)
- Muster duty (Title 10, U.S.C., Sect. 12319)
Orders citing the applicable section of law are required documents. Airmen should maintain copies of their active duty orders and provide them for the Reduced Retired Pay Age Application.
Orders publishing authorities must ensure proper statutory authorities are included on orders.
Impact on Benefits
Airmen will receive all retired pay benefits (e.g., commissary, base exchange, etc.) except:
- Medical benefits are deferred until age 60.
- Blue ID card (ID card will show Airmen are not entitled to medical until age 60. At age 60, they will need to go to nearest military facility to obtain another blue ID card bestowing the medical benefit).
- Premiums for the Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Plan will be deducted from retired pay upon the age the member starts drawing pay.