Nominations for STEP II due May 18
Headquarters Individual Reservist Readiness and Integration Organization
/ Published April 24, 2017
BUCKLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. --
Nomination packages for 2017 Stripes for Exceptional Performers II (STEP II) are due to your servicing HQ RIO Detachment by May 18, 2017.
STEP II is a commander’s program designed to promote outstanding and well deserving Air Force Reserve members to one grade above the authorized grade for their position. Only those Airmen who clearly demonstrate outstanding potential should be considered for promotion under STEP II. Promotions are based on a demonstrated ability to serve in the next higher grade.
IMAs and PIRRs (E-5 – E-8) interested in the program must work with their supervisor/unit reserve coordinator (URC) to assemble a nomination package. The supervisor/URC must submit this package to the member’s servicing HQ RIO Detachment no later than May 18, 2017.
Reference the 2017 STEP II Guide for full details.
Nominees must meet all eligibility requirements in accordance with AFI 36-2502, Enlisted Airman Promotion/Demotion Program, para 8.9, with the exception of being in a higher-graded Unit Manning Document (UMD) position.
Nomination packages must include the following:
- STEP II Checklist – Signed by unit commander and command chief
- AF IMT 1206 - Sample – single-spaced bullet format covering any specific accomplishments within a member’s career and not reflected in the three most recent EPRs. The front of the AF Form 1206 consists of bullet statements of no more than 35 lines, to include the following mandatory headings:
- NCOs: Job Performance in Primary Duty, Leadership & Followership, and Whole Airman Concept
- SNCOs: Leadership & Job Performance in Primary Duty and Whole Airman Concept
- The AF Form 1206 must contain the squadron commander’s, or equivalent, signature only.
- AF IMT 224 (E-6 – E-7 – Sample) (E-8 – E-9 - Sample) – Signatures not required at time of nomination
- A printout from the Air Force Fitness Management System II (AFFMS II) documenting a current and passing fitness test. Individuals must have a current and passing fitness score at the time of nomination AND prior to the promotion effective date, if selected.
- Individuals nominated for STEP II to the rank of chief master sergeant must sign a Statement of Understanding (Sample) acknowledging the Chief Orientation Course requirement. Members must attend prior to promotion effective date.
- Signed RSC contract (Sample) (only required for packages being considered for E-7/9).
The member’s Supervisor/URC must submit the nomination package to the member’s servicing HQ RIO Detachment
Questions should be directed to the member’s servicing HQ RIO Detachment.