As you prepare to retire from the Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve, there are specific steps you must take to ensure you receive retirement pay when you hit age 60. You will not receive notification of retirement pay at age 59; therefore, you will need to initiate the retired pay application about four months before your 60th birthday. 

It is critical to maintain a current address with HQ ARPC by updating it in myPers or calling 800-525-0102. 

To apply for Reserve retired pay, complete the ARPC Form 83 and DD Form 2656 below. Both of these forms must be received by HQ ARPC to establish the retired pay account. These forms should be submitted at least 30 days, but not earlier than 4 months before the retired pay effective date (normally when you reach age 60).

Airmen may elect retired pay to begin on their retired pay eligibility date (normally the 60th birthday or any date thereafter). There is a statute of limitation of six years on retroactive retired pay (Barring Act).

Direct Deposit is the method used by the Air Force to distribute pay to Airmen. Normally, the first deposit will be on the first day of the month after the month which includes their retired pay effective date. However, if an Airman participates right up to his or her retired pay effective date, all final points, and service must be received before pay can be finalized. In such cases, allow 60 days after the retired pay effective date for retired pay to begin.

For Airmen to be credited with points and service earned after their 60th birthday, they must request a waiver through the chain of command. Final approval is the Secretary of the Air Force (Title 10 U.S.C., Section 12308).

Retired pay is computed using the number of retirement points multiplied by the point value (based on Airman's highest grade held and years of service) for each point. Longevity credit continues for members of the Retired Reserve until they are in retired pay status (DOD Financial Management Regulation, DOD 7000.14-R, Part 1, paragraph 10101e).

Airmen may contact HQ ARPC, at 800-525-0102 or through vPC, for more information. 


The DD Form 2656 and ARPC Form 83 must be filled out no earlier than 4 months and no later than 30 days before your 60th birthday.

  • DD Form 2656
  • ARPC Form 83 (latest version of Adobe Reader required. If you don't have this and cannot install it, try using another computer with the latest version installed)



The 2008 National Defense Authorization Act directs that age 60 shall be reduced by three months for each aggregate of 90 days of active duty service performed supporting a contingency after Jan. 28, 2008. The total reduced shall not be below 50 years of age.

Survivor Benefit Plan

Content coming soon...



If you have a myPers account you can create a ticket to ask questions or check on a ticket status. You can also use myPers to update your address.

If you do not yet have a myPers account please create an account. This video may be helpful. If you are unable to create a myPers account or otherwise experience technical difficulties, please contact the Total Force Service Center at 800-525-0102. 


Q. Will I be notified/reminded of my retirement pay as I near age 60?

A. No, ARPC will not notify you of your retirement pay. You must initiate the proper paperwork no earlier than 4 months before your 60th birthday, but no later than 30 days before. 

Q. What is a Survival Benefit Plan and why should it matter to me?

A. If Airmen elected either Option B or Option C under the Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Plan (RCSBP), that election is still in effect. If there has been a change in marital status or death of beneficiary, include a copy of the death certificate or divorce decree along with the retired pay application forms.

If Airmen elected Option A, or made no election under the RCSBP, then complete Sections IX and XI of the DD Form 2656 at this time and return to HQ ARPC/DPPR to ensure proper coverage. If Airmen are married and fail to make a valid election, the cost of maximum SBP participation will automatically be withheld from the monthly retired pay. Any retiree who is age 70 or older and whose retired pay has been reduced for SBP premiums for at least 360 months will qualify to have their SBP costs terminated. Additional information on SBP.

An Airman may elect to discontinue SBP at any time during the one-year period beginning on the second anniversary of the date on which payment of retired pay begins. Despite discontinuation of coverage, Airmen shall continue to pay monthly premiums associated with the RCSBP coverage received prior to retired pay effective date. For more information visit or call toll free at 800-321-1080.