Post-9/11 GI Bill

Transfer of Education Benefits

*Current as of December 2022*

You must meet all eligibility requirements outlined in DoDI 1341.13, Change 1, Post-9/11 GI Bill and AFI 36-2670, Total Force Development, Chapter 6, prior to applying for the Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB). Purple Heart Recipients see TEB Purple Heart Recipients.

Access virtual MPF (vMPF) via AFPC Secure:

vMPF Navigation

  1. Click on vMPF
  2. Validate your contact information by clicking on 'I have verified my email and phone' (all correspondence will come to this address)
  3. Click on Self Service Actions
  4. Click on Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB)
  5. Click the TEB hyperlink to submit a TEB application via MilConnect

NOTE: Airmen CANNOT submit a TEB request through the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) website. Airmen experiencing difficulties with the TEB application should contact the Total Force Service Center.

MilConnect Navigation

  • Read the "Message from the Service Component"
  • Designate the number of months to each dependent (any dependent who is not allocated at least one (1) month of benefits will be ineligible for transferred benefits after the Airman retires/separates/is deceased in accordance with AFI 36-2649, Attachment 13, A13.
  • Acknowledge all statements on the application
  • Select "Submit Request" (status in MilConnect will change to "Submitted")

Upon receipt of the Initial Notification email from myFSS:

Purple Heart Recipients:

  • Respond to the incident with the following statement: "I am a Purple Heart Recipient requesting TEB approval IAW DTM-18-006"

All other applicants:

  • Obtain required retainability plus one (1) month to meet eligibility (if applicable).
    Enlisted members who extend their enlistment for the purpose of transferring Post-9/11 GI Bill entitlement who later decide to cancel (revoke) TEB may NOT cancel the extension or the associated active duty service commitment. Canceling TEB is not a reason to cancel an executed Post-9/11 GI Bill extension in accordance with AFI 36-2606, Reenlistment in the United States Air Force, Chapter 6.
  • Digitally sign the TEB Statement of Understanding (SOU). The TEB SOU will only appear in an Airman's vMPF (Self Service Actions/Transfer of Education Benefits) once 72 hours have passed since submitting the application in MilConnect AND the Airman meets retainability requirements.

NOTE: Both actions above must be accomplished within 30 days of the myFSS Initial Notification, or the application will expire, and the Airman must reapply for TEB.

When an Airman has secured the required retainability and signed the TEB SOU, the ARPC Education Services office will approve the TEB application in MilConnect within seven duty days. To determine the status of your application, visit the MilConnect website. Upon approval, you will receive an additional notification. If you have questions regarding your application, you may respond to your case by logging into myFSS directly at Then access the TEB case through the myEducation tile. For more information on Post-9/11 GI Bill TEB, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website, or contact the Total Force Service Center.

Letter of Certification

The Letter of Certification (LOC) is a tool that Selected Reserve members can use to potentially increase the level of their Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.

To request your LOC, please follow the steps below to utilize the new myFSS system.

- Navigate to myFSS (
- Select the myEducation tile (
- Select the "New Education and Training Request" under the demographics banner
- In the pop-up, under training type, select "Post-9/11 GI Bill"
- Follow the rest of the prompts until you submit your case

Letter of Certification

Reservists can receive education counseling through their servicing base. If you do not have a local education office, please submit a ticket through the myEducation tile on myFSS.

Related Resources

AFR Tuition Assistance Knowledge Article

AFI 36-2606Reenlistment in the United States Air Force

AFI 36-2670Total Force Development


If you have a myPers account you can create a ticket to ask questions or check on a ticket status. You can also use myPers to update your address.

If you do not yet have a myPers account please create an account. If you are unable to create an account or otherwise experience technical difficulties, please contact the Total Force Service Center at 800-525-0102.