*Current as of December 2022*
You must meet all eligibility requirements outlined in DoDI 1341.13, Change 1, Post-9/11 GI Bill and AFI 36-2670, Total Force Development, Chapter 6, prior to applying for the Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB). Purple Heart Recipients see TEB Purple Heart Recipients.
Access virtual MPF (vMPF) via AFPC Secure:
- Click on vMPF
- Validate your contact information by clicking on 'I have verified my email and phone' (all correspondence will come to this address)
- Click on Self Service Actions
- Click on Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB)
- Click the TEB hyperlink to submit a TEB application via MilConnect
NOTE: Airmen CANNOT submit a TEB request through the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) website. Airmen experiencing difficulties with the TEB application should contact the Total Force Service Center.
- Read the "Message from the Service Component"
- Designate the number of months to each dependent (any dependent who is not allocated at least one (1) month of benefits will be ineligible for transferred benefits after the Airman retires/separates/is deceased in accordance with AFI 36-2649, Attachment 13, A184.108.40.206.3.)
- Acknowledge all statements on the application
- Select "Submit Request" (status in MilConnect will change to "Submitted")
Upon receipt of the Initial Notification email from myFSS:
Purple Heart Recipients:
- Respond to the incident with the following statement: "I am a Purple Heart Recipient requesting TEB approval IAW DTM-18-006"
All other applicants:
- Obtain required retainability plus one (1) month to meet eligibility (if applicable).
Enlisted members who extend their enlistment for the purpose of transferring Post-9/11 GI Bill entitlement who later decide to cancel (revoke) TEB may NOT cancel the extension or the associated active duty service commitment. Canceling TEB is not a reason to cancel an executed Post-9/11 GI Bill extension in accordance with AFI 36-2606, Reenlistment in the United States Air Force, Chapter 6.
- Digitally sign the TEB Statement of Understanding (SOU). The TEB SOU will only appear in an Airman's vMPF (Self Service Actions/Transfer of Education Benefits) once 72 hours have passed since submitting the application in MilConnect AND the Airman meets retainability requirements.
NOTE: Both actions above must be accomplished within 30 days of the myFSS Initial Notification, or the application will expire, and the Airman must reapply for TEB.
When an Airman has secured the required retainability and signed the TEB SOU, the ARPC Education Services office will approve the TEB application in MilConnect within seven duty days. To determine the status of your application, visit the MilConnect website. Upon approval, you will receive an additional notification. If you have questions regarding your application, you may respond to your case by logging into myFSS directly at https://myfss.us.af.mil/USAFCommunity/s/. Then access the TEB case through the myEducation tile. For more information on Post-9/11 GI Bill TEB, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website, or contact the Total Force Service Center.