Colonel Paul R. Fast is the Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, 5th Air Force, Yokota Air Base, Japan. Fifth Air Force conducts joint and bilateral planning and engagements to defend Japan and respond to regional contingencies. In addition, the command coordinates joint and bilateral actions and exercises with U.S. Forces Japan, U.S. service components, the Japan Self Defense Forces and other Japanese organizations to strengthen bilateral interoperability. Fifth Air Force exercises administrative authority over U.S. Air Force forces in Japan.
Colonel Fast earned his commission in the Air Force through the Reserve Officer Training Corps in 1991. He graduated from Undergraduate Weapons Controller Training at Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla., in 1993, and graduated from the U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev., in 1997. Colonel Fast was active duty Air Force from September 1992 to September 2001. During that period he accumulated more than 1,000 hours in the E-3 Airborne Warning and Control System at NATO Air Base Geilenkirchen, Germany and Nellis AFB, Nev.
In October 2001, Colonel Fast joined the Air Force Reserve as a traditional reservist, holding squadron positions that include tactics officer, flight commander, assistant director of operations, director of operations, deputy commander and commander. He has held air operations center (AOC) duty qualifications including command and control duty officer, strategy division chief, chief of combat operations, joint air component coordination element deputy director (JACCE), and AOC director. He has served in multiple theaters and campaigns, including Korea, Operation Noble Eagle as a command and control planner, and Operation Iraqi Freedom as an orchestrator of the joint fires scheme in Western Iraq. Colonel Fast also served as an Individual Mobilization Augmentee and chief of combat operations instructor in the 505th Command and Control Wing at Nellis AFB, Nev., and as the deputy commander of the 940th Operations Group at Beale AFB, Calif.
1991 Bachelor of Science degree, Business Administration, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
1997 USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1998 Squadron Officers School, in-residence
2004 Master of Business Administration, University of Phoenix
2006 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2011 Air War College, by correspondence
1. September 1992 - March 1993, student, Undergraduate Controller Training, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
2. March 1993 - May 1996, Instructor & Evaluator Senior Director, 729th Air Control Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
3. June 1996 - August 1999, Weapons & Tactics Officer, Flying Squadron 2, NATO Air Base
4. August 1999 - September 2001, Weapons School Instructor, Command and Control Operations Division, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
5. October 2001 - October 2005, Airborne Command Element C2 Officer, 701st Combat Operations Squadron, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
6. October 2005 - October 2006, Chief of Combat Operations Instructor, 505th Operations Group, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. October 2006 - April 2012, Flight Commander, Assistant Director of Operations, Director of Operations, and Deputy Squadron Commander, 701st Combat Operations Squadron, March ARB, Calif.
8. April 2012 - July 2012, Deputy Group Commander, 940th Operations Group, Beale AFB, Calif.
9. July 2012 - May 2014, Commander, 701st Combat Operations Squadron, March ARB, Calif.
10. June 2014 – April 2017, Vice Commander, 926th Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
11. April 2017 – present, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, 5th Air Force, Pacific Air Forces, Yokota Air Base, Japan
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon for Long Tour
Air Force Longevity Service with five devices
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Second Lieutenant May 5, 1992
First Lieutenant May 5, 1994
Captain May 5, 1996
Major June 14, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 2, 2007
Colonel March 9, 2012
(Current as of April 2017)