Colonel Kevin J. Roethe is the Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, Air Force Test Center, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. He is the senior Reserve leader for the $31 billion enterprise of more than 18,000 military, civilian and contractor personnel across Edwards AFB, Eglin AFB and Arnold AFB. The AFTC provides developmental test and evaluation of experimental and research manned and unmanned air, space and cyber systems for military services, DARPA, NASA and international partners, in addition to operation of the U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School.
Col. Roethe was commissioned in 1993 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at the University of Portland. He has served in a number of flying, staff and joint assignments as an active duty and reserve officer. Col. Roethe is a U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School graduate, combat mission commander and command pilot with more than 6,000 flying hours in over 80 aircraft types. He has flown combat missions in support of Operation Northern Watch.
In his civilian profession, he is the Director of Operations for a world-wide executive jet charter company. Prior to his current assignment, he served as the Individual Mobilization Augmentee to the Commander, 412th Test Wing.
1993 Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, University of Portland, Ore.
1996 Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, N.M.
2001 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 United States Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2012 Masters of Business Administration degree, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colo.
2013 Air War College, by correspondence
2018 Joint and Combined Warfighter School - Hybrid, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1. May 1994 - March 1996, Director of Safety, Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2. March 1996 - July 1997, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. July 1997 - September 1998, Student, F-16 RTU, 308th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. September 1998 - February 2002, Asst Chief of Weapons, 18th Fighter Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska
5. February 2002 - July 2003, Chief of Training, 416th Flight Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
6. July 2003 - June 2004, Student, USAF Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
7. June 2004 - February 2005, Weapons Officer, 416th Flight Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
8. February 2005 - July 2007, Detachment Commander, 416th Flight Test Squadron, Tucson, Ariz.
9. July 2007 - February 2011, Systems Deputy Branch Chief, USAF Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
10. February 2011 - February 2015, Air Defense FAA Liaison, Joint Operations, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
11. February 2015 - June 2016, IMA to the Inspector General, Air Force Test Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
12. June 2016 - June 2017, IMA to the Commander, 412th Test Wing Operations Group, Edwards AFB, Calif.
13. June 2017- August 2018, IMA to the Commander, 412th Test Wing, Edwards AFB, Calif.
14. August 2018 - present, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, Air Force Test Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
February 2011 - February 2015, Air Defense FAA Liaison, Headquarters North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson AFB, Colo., as a lieutenant colonel
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 6,000, including more than 30 combat hours
Aircraft flown: 83 different types, including F-16A/B/C/D, Gulfstream G-200 and G-IV
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
1991 AETC Commander’s Trophy and Distinguished Graduate, Undergraduate Pilot Training
2001 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov. 1, 1994
First Lieutenant Nov. 1, 1995
Captain Nov. 1, 1997
Major March 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 11, 2009
Colonel July 1, 2015
(Current as of March 2019)