Col. Douglas B. Meyers is the Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, 12th Air Force, Air Combat Command, and Commander, Air Forces Southern, U.S. Southern Command, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Arizona. Twelfth Air Force ensures the readiness of seven active duty wings and one direct reporting unit for contingency operations, and oversees 15 gained Air Reserve Component units totaling more than 360 aircraft and 20,300 Airmen. As the air and space component to U.S. Southern Command, Air Forces Southern conducts security cooperation and provides air, space and cyberspace capabilities throughout the 31 nations of Latin America and the Caribbean.
Col. Meyers was commissioned in 1988 as a Reserve Officer Training Corps graduate of Iowa State University. He earned his pilot wings in 1989 and was a distinguished graduate from F-16 training in 1990. He has served as an F-16 pilot, instructor pilot, and flight examiner both domestically and overseas in Southwest Asia and Korea.
Prior to his current assignment, Col. Meyers was the Individual Mobilization Augmentee to the F-35 Joint Program Office Training Integrated Product Team, F-35 Joint Program Office, Arlington, Va. He provided support to the F-35 JPO to ensure the standup of F-35A Pooled USAF/Partner and Foreign Military Sales pilot training at Luke AFB, Arizona, was in accordance with US Policy guidance. He is a command pilot with over 3,600 flying hours, primarily in the F-16, including 116 combat hours. In his civilian capacity, Col. Meyers is a pilot with a major airline.
1988 Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering, Iowa State University, Ames
1995 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2005 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2009 Master’s degree in military operational art and science, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Air War College, by correspondence
1. October 1988 – January 1990, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. January 1990 – March 1990, Student, Fighter Lead-in Training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. March 1990 – October 1990, Student, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, MacDill AFB, Fla.
4. October 1990 – October 1992, F-16 pilot, 309th Fighter Squadron, Homestead AFB, Fla.
5. October 1992 – August 1996, Chief of Wing Standardization and Evaluation and F-16 Flight Examiner, 20th Fighter Wing, and 9th Air Force F-16 Demonstration Team Narrator, Shaw AFB, S.C.
6. August 1996 – November 1999, Flight Commander and F-16 Flight Examiner, 21st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. February 2003 – May 2006, Assistant Director of Operations and F-16 Flight Examiner, 309th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. May 2006 – October 2006, Interim Director of Operations and F-16 Flight Examiner, 56th Operational Support Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
9. October 2006 – October 2008, Assistant Director of Operations and F-16 Flight Examiner, 63rd Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
10. October 2008 – July 2009, Assistant Chief of Wing Standardization and Evaluation, F-16 Flight Examiner, and Functional Check Flight Pilot, 56th Operations Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
11. July 2009 – July 2010, Assistant Director of Operations and F-16 Flight Examiner, 301st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
12. July 2010 – Jan 2012, Director of Operations and F-16 Flight Examiner, 69th Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
13. January 2012 – July 2012, F-35 Subject Matter Expert and F-16 Flight Examiner, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz.
14. July 2012 – July 2013, Commander, 944th Operational Support Flight, Operations Deputy, 56th Fighter Wing F-35 Program Integration Office, and F-16 Flight Examiner, Luke AFB, Ariz.
15. July 2013 – April 2015, Deputy Commander, 944th Operations Group, Operations Deputy, 56th Fighter Wing F-35 Program Integration Office, and F-16 Flight Examiner, Luke AFB, Ariz.
16. April 2015 – October 2018, Individual Mobilization Augmentee to F-35 JPO Training IPT, F-35 Joint Program Office, Crystal City, Va.
17. November 2018 – present, Mobilization Assistant to the 12th Air Force (AFSOUTH) Commander, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: more than 3,600, including 116 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38, F-15D, F-16A/B/C/D
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with one oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korea Defense Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Award with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Training Ribbon
1990 Distinguished graduate, F-16 Replacement Training Unit
2004 Ames Honor Award, National Aeronautics and Space Administration
2009 Safety Award, Air Education and Training Command
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 21, 1988
First Lieutenant May 21, 1990
Captain Aug. 5, 1992
Major July 2, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel July 2, 2007
Colonel Oct. 1, 2014
(Current as of June 2019)