Col. Mark D. Richey is Vice Commander, Fourth Air Force, Air Force Reserve Command, March Air Reserve Base, California. Fourth Air Force has command supervision over the Reserve's long-range airlift and air refueling units located throughout the continental U.S., Hawaii and Guam. They ensure assigned units and personnel are properly organized, trained, equipped and ready to support national security requirements across the full spectrum of operations, from war to contingency situations. Fourth Air Force provides leadership, management and oversight to 18 flying wings and one regional support group, which provide strategic airlift, airdrop, aeromedical, air refueling and associated expeditionary support activities. His responsibilities encompass 300 units and more than 32,000 personnel.
Colonel Richey graduated Magna Cum Laude from Saint Mary's College of California and was the Honor Graduate of his class at the United States Air Force Officer Training School. A distinguished graduate of Undergraduate Pilot Training, Colonel Richey later earned his MBA from Colorado State University. Colonel Richey is a command pilot with more than 4,500 flying hours and 675 combat sorties.
In his previous assignment, Colonel Richey served as the Individual Mobilization Augmentee to the Requirements Division for Mobility, Special Operations, and Rotary Lift within the Directorate for Operational Capability Requirements, Strategy, and Integration at the Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C. Prior to that he served as the Vice Wing Commander of the 916th Air Refueling Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C. Colonel Richey has served on ten deployments supporting OPERATION NORTHERN WATCH, OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM and OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM. He has commanded, deployed and flown with Active Duty Special Operations, the Air National Guard and the Air Force Reserve..
1995 Bachelor of Science: Business Administration, St. Mary's College of California, Moraga, Calif.
1997 Honor Graduate - USAF Officer Training School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 Distinguished Graduate - Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, NAS Corpus Christi, Texas
2004 USAF Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2010 USAF Air Command and Staff College, Correspondence
2013 USAF Air War College, Correspondence
2015 Masters of Business Administration, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colo.
2016 Joint Reserve Component National Security Course, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2017 Joint and Combined Warfighting School - Hybrid, Correspondence & Seminar
2018 Director of Mobility Forces Course, Air Force Expeditionary Center, Hurlburt Field, Fla
2019 Air Force Senior Leader Nuclear Management Course, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
2020 Advanced Concepts & Skills for Requirements Management, Defense Acquisition University, Va.
2020 NATO Senior Officer Policy Course, Oberammergau, Germany
2021 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School-UNC, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2021 Leading Strategically, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1. September 1997 - November 1998, Student, JSUPT, Laughlin AFB & NAS Corpus Christi, Texas
2. January 1999 - October 1999, MC-130P Initial Mission Qual., Little Rock AFB, Ark, & Kirtland AFB, N.M.
3. October 1999 - October 2002, MC-130P Aircraft Commander, Plans Officer, 17th Special Operations Squadron, Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan
4. October 2002 - May 2006, MC-130P Evaluator Pilot, Commander - Standardization/Evaluation Flight & Chief Executive Officer, 9th Special Operations Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
5. June 2006 - May 2007, MC-130P Instructor Pilot, 5th Special Operations Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla
6. June 2007 - June 2012, C-130J/C-27J Instructor and Cadre Pilot, Flight Commander, 135th Airlift Squadron, Warfield Air National Guard Base, Md.
7. June 2012 - July 2015, Chief Pilot/MAFFS Pilot C-130H, 731st Airlift Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
8. August 2015 - April 2017, Commander, 302nd Operational Support Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
9. January 2017 - September 2018, Individual Mobilization Augmentee to the Director of Operations, NORAD, and Command Center Director - NORAD & U.S. NORTHERN COMMAND, Peterson AFB, Colo.
10. July 2018 - July 2019, Vice Wing Commander, 916th Air Refueling Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
11. July 2019 - May 2020, IMA - Mobility, Special Ops, and Rotary Lift Requirements Division, HAF/A5, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
12. May 2020 - Present, Vice Commander, 4th Air Force, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. January 2017 - September 2018, Individual Mobilization Augmentee to the Director of Operations, NORAD, and Command Center Director - NORAD & U.S. NORTHERN COMMAND, Peterson AFB, Colo., as a colonel
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 4,500 Hours, 675 Combat Sorties
Aircraft Flown: MC-130P, C-130J, C-27J, C-130E/H, KC-135R, HC-130, T-44, T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with Two Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Medal with Six Oak Leaf Clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with Two Oak Leaf Clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with Three Oak Leaf Clusters
Army Commendation Medal
Gallant Unit Citation Meritorious Unit Award with One Oak Leaf Cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "Valor Device" with Two Oak Leaf Clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug. 8, 1997
First Lieutenant Aug. 8, 1999
Captain Aug. 8, 2001
Major Nov. 15, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel June 30, 2011
Colonel Jan. 6, 2017
(Current as of May 2021)