Col. Norman B. Shaw Jr. is the Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, 618th Air Operations Center (AOC), Scott Air Force Base, Ill. The 618 AOC is responsible for operational planning, scheduling, directing, and assessing a fleet of approximately 1,100 aircraft in support of combat delivery, strategic airlift, air refueling, and aeromedical evacuation operations around the world. Colonel Shaw has previous experience with the 618 AOC, having served as Director of Operations.
Colonel Shaw was commissioned through the Air Force Officer Training School in 1998 and earned his pilot wings as a Distinguished Graduate of Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training at Laughlin AFB, Texas. His operational background includes strategic airlift experience flying C-141, C-5 and C-17 aircraft, while serving in numerous operations including Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom and the National Science Foundation’s resupply mission to McMurdo Station, Antarctica.
Prior to his current position, Colonel Shaw served as Vice Commander of the 512th Airlift Wing, a 1,650-person Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC) associate wing located at Dover Air Force Base, Delaware. His past assignments include service at Headquarters AFRC, along with joint service at United States Transportation Command and the Joint Staff.
1996 Bachelor of Science degree in aviation, Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, Ky.
1998 U.S. Air Force Officer Training School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1999 Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas, distinguished graduate
2004 Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course, Air Force, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2008 Master’s degree in public administration, Troy University, Troy, Ala.
2009 Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2011 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2012 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2013 Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2022 Director of Mobility Forces Course, US. Air Force Expeditionary Operations School Det. 1, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
1. November 1998 – November 1999, Distinguished Graduate, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. November 1999 – September 2002, C-141 Copilot, 356th Airlift Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. September 2002 – October 2003, C-141 Aircraft Commander and Squadron Safety Officer, 356th AS, Wright- Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. October 2003 – October 2005, C-141 Instructor Pilot, 356th AS, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. October 2005 – February 2009, C-5 Initial Cadre Instructor Pilot, 89th AS, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. February 2009 – September 2010, C-5 Evaluator Pilot and Assistant Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 89th AS, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. September 2010 – May 2012, Special Action Officer, Commander’s Action Group, HQ AFRC, Robins AFB, Ga.
8. May 2012 – April 2014, National Military Command System Liaison, Directorate for Command, Control, Communications, and Computers-Cyber (J6), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
9. April 2014 – September 2014, C-17 Mobility Pilot, 89th AS, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. September 2014 – January 2016, Commander, 445th Operations Support Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. January 2016 – August 2017, Chief, Joint Transportation Reserve Unit Support Division, Joint Reserve Component Directorate, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
12. August 2017 – August 2018, Director of Operations, 618th AOC,18th Air Force, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
13. August 2018 – May 2021, Vice Commander, 512th AW, Dover AFB, Del.
14. June 2021 – Present, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander, 618th AOC, Scott AFB, Ill.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. May 2012 – April 2014, National Military Command System Liaison, Directorate for Command, Control, Communications, and Computers/Cyber (J6), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a major and lieutenant colonel
2. January 2016 – August 2017, Chief, Joint Transportation Reserve Unit Support Division, Joint Reserve Component Directorate, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill., as a lieutenant colonel
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: more than 3,400
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-1, C-141, C-5, C-17
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug. 14, 1998
First Lieutenant Aug. 14, 2000
Captain Sept. 20, 2002
Major Sept. 20, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 10, 2012
Colonel Sept. 17, 2017
(Current as of July 2022)