Colonel Thomas P. Klingensmith is the Mobilization Assistant to the Director, Plans, Programs and Requirements, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va. The director defines, advocates, and directs the development, procurement, fielding, modernization, and sustainment of combat airpower while advancing Core Function Enterprise vision and strategy for Command and Control; Global Integrated Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance; Air Superiority; Global Precision Attack and Personnel Recovery service core functions. The director leads ACC planning, programming, requirements, science and technology, test, analyses, and integration efforts to deliver capability- and capacity-based solutions for current and future warfighting gaps and challenges.
Colonel Klingensmith is a native of Colorado Springs, Colo. He received his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in 1989, with a degree in electrical engineering. After graduation from pilot training in 1990 from Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas, he was assigned to the F-16 Flying Training Unit at MacDill AFB, Fla. He is a veteran of Northern and Southern Watch and Operations Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, and Noble Eagle, flying 417 combat hours and 115 sorties over the course of eight deployments.
Colonel Klingensmith joined the Air Force Reserve's 419th Fighter Wing in October 1998. He has logged more than 3,300 hours in the F-16. Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Klingensmith was the Commander, 713th Combat Operations Squadron, 940th Operations Group, 940th Wing, U.S. Air Force Reserve, Beale AFB, Calif.
In his civilian job, he is a commercial airline pilot for a major airline, flying the B-757/767.
1989 Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1995 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Masters of Science in aeronautical science, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2011 Air War College, by correspondence
1. June 1989 – August 1990, student, undergraduate pilot training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. August 1990 – October 1990, student, Lead-In Fighter Training, 434th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. October 1990 – June 1991, student, F-16 Flying Training Unit, 63rd Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
4. June 1991 – October 1992, F-16 pilot, 35th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
5. October 1992 – April 1996, F-16 instructor pilot, 4th Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
6. April 1996 – October 1998, Flight Commander and F-16 instructor pilot, 522nd Fighter Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
7. October 1998 – March 2011, Chief of Wing Flight Safety, F-16 instructor pilot, Flight Commander and Assistant Director of Operations, 466th Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
8. March 2011 – January 2012, Commander, 419th Operations Support Flight, Hill AFB, Utah
9. January 2012 – September 2012, Deputy Group Commander, 419th Operations Group, Hill AFB, Utah
10. September 2012 – February 2013, Special Assistant to the Commander, 419th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
11. February 2013 – March 2014, Commander, 713th Combat Operations Squadron, Beale AFB, Calif.
12. March 2014 – March 2016, Vice Commander, 419th Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah.
13. March 2016 – present, Mobilization Assistant to the Director, Plans, Programs and Requirements, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,600 hours, including 417 combat hours
Aircraft flown: F-16, T-37, T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross with "V" device
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Combat Action Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1989
First Lieutenant May 31, 1991
Captain May 31, 1993
Major June 2, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel June 2, 2007
Colonel Sept. 1, 2012
(Current as of March 2016)