Colonel Kelli B. Smiley is the Commander, Headquarters, Individual Reservist Readiness and Integration Organization (HQ RIO), Buckley Air Force Base, Colo. RIO's mission is to seamlessly integrate wartime-ready Individual Reserve forces in more than 50 MAJCOMs, COCOMs, and government agencies to meet Air Force and Combatant Commander requirements. As commander, Colonel Smiley is responsible for the readiness, accountability, personnel and administrative servicing of more than 8,500 Individual Reservists worldwide.
1. May 1991 - September 1993, personnel psychologist, Air Force Occupational Measurement Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
2. October 1993 - May 1996, Chief, Test Construction Team, Air Force Occupational Measurement Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. May 2001 - September 2001, Protocol/Public Affairs IMA, Special Operations Command Joint Forces Command, Norfolk, Va.
4. September 2001 - July 2004, Readiness Operations IMA, HQ Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
5. August 2004 - October 2008, Chief, Personnel Readiness Systems and Operations Integration, HQ Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
6. January 2007 - June 2007, Deployed Detachment 7 Commander, 602d Training Group, Fort McCoy, Wisc. and Ft Lewis, Wash.
7. November 2008 - March 2010, Chief, Air Expeditionary Forces Names In System Branch, HQ Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
8. April 2010 - August 2010, Chief, Reserve Operating Location Total Force Service Center Operations, HQ Air Force, Randolph AFB, Texas
9. August 2010 - March 2012, IMA to the Chief, Air Force Reserve Force Strategy and Integration Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, DC
10. March 2012 - June 2013, Commander, 446th Force Support Squadron, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
11. June 2013 - June 2016, Chief, Personnel Operations and Systems Integration Operating Location, HQ Air Reserve Personnel Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
12. June 2016 - June 2017, Director, Personnel and Total Force Services, HQ Air Reserve Personnel Center, Buckley AFB, Colo.
13. June 2017 - present, Commander, HQ Individual Reservist Readiness and Integration Organization, Buckley AFB, Colo.
Colonel Smiley was commissioned in 1991 as a distinguished graduate from the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo.
Prior to this assignment, Col Smiley was the Director, Personnel and Total Force Services, Headquarters Air Reserve Personnel Center, Buckley Air Force Base, Colo. Her directorate provided personnel support to over 1 million Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard and retired airmen ensuring they are prepared to deliver Total Force war fighting capability for the Air Force. Colonel Smiley began her career as a behavioral scientist, later cross-training into the personnel career field. She has served on active duty, as well as served as an individual mobilization augmentee (IMA), traditional reservist and an active Guard/Reserve officer (AGR). She has performed duties in a variety of assignments at the squadron and joint level as well as at HQ Air Force, HQ Air Force Personnel Center, and HQ Air Reserve Personnel Center.
1991 Bachelor of Science degree in Behavioral Sciences, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2001 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2003 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2004 Master of Business Administration degree, Regis University, Denver, Colo.
2007 Reserve Officer Joint Military Operations Course, Naval War College, R.I.
2008 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2012 Air War College, by correspondence
2013 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
2017 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 2 'M' devices
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29,1991
First Lieutenant May 29,1993
Captain May 29,1995
Major June 12, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel June 12, 2009
Colonel Oct. 1, 2014
(Current as of January 2018)