Nominations for Outstanding IR of the Year accepted until Feb. 11
Headquarters Individual Reservist Readiness and Integration Organization
/ Published January 10, 2018
BUCKLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Colo. --
Nomination packages for the 2017 Outstanding Individual Reservist of the Year Award are due to your servicing HQ RIO Detachment no later than Feb. 11, 2018.
This award recognizes Individual Mobilization Augmentees and Participating Individual Ready Reserve members who distinguish themselves from their peers through job performance, community involvement and personal achievements.
Award period: Jan. 1, 2017 – Dec. 31, 2017
- Enlisted: Airman (E-1 – E-4), NCO (E-5 – E-6), SNCO (E-7 – E-9)
- Officer: CGO (O-1 – O-3), FGO (O-4 – O-5)
- Recommendation letter addressed to HQ RIO/CC and signed by the Detachment commander stating that "validation with the nominee's unit was accomplished ensuring that the nominee does not have any derogatory information, also stating verbatim that "A review of the official personnel record was conducted on (date) and revealed no information that would bring discredit to the award or the United States Air Force".
- AF1206 - A write-up of 18 typewritten lines (including headers and are to stand alone from the bullets), single-spaced, size 12 point-font, using only the front side of the AF Form 1206, Nomination for Award. Bullet format is mandatory. Nominations should include specific facts, achievements, and examples showing the individuals are exceptional. Achievements should distinguish the member from his or her peers. Common acronyms may be used as long as the meaning is clear (TDY, AF, USAFE, SFS, etc.), otherwise acronyms will not be used. The use of an acronym list is not permitted.
- Leadership and Job Performance in Primary Duty: Describe significant accomplishments and how well the member performed assigned primary and additional duties. Define the scope and level of responsibilities and the impact on the mission and unit. Include any new initiatives or techniques developed by the member that positively impacted the unit and/or the mission. Show how the member developed or improved skills related to primary duties; e.g., formal training, Career Development Course enrollment or completion, On-the-Job Training, and so forth. Include results of Air Force, MAJCOM, and Numbered Air Force-level inspections and/or evaluations. Include awards received; e.g., NCO of the Quarter, Maintenance Professional of the Year, and so forth. Limit to 12 lines plus header.
- Whole Airman Concept: Define the scope and impact of the member's effort to promote camaraderie, embrace esprit de corps, and act as an Air Force ambassador, including positive leadership and involvement in both the military and civilian community. Include leadership, membership, or participation in unit advisory councils, professional military organizations, associations, and events. Include any off-duty education or other personal development; e.g., class, course, certifications, degree enrollment and/or completion, grade point average. Cite any other relevant training or activity that significantly enhanced the member's value as a military citizen. Limit to 4 lines plus header.
- Sample AF1206
- Biography: An official Air Force biography, limited to two pages. Example biographies can be found at the Air Force biography homepage.
- Current passing fitness score printed from AFMSII
- Statement of release, addressed to HQ RIO/CC, must be signed and dated by the nominee. The statement will read verbatim: "I do or do not (circle one) agree to the use of Privacy Act information in the nomination narrative. This information may include Privacy Act information or Personally Identifiable Information (PII) found in DoD 5400.11-R, DoD Privacy Program, Disclosure of Personal Information to Other Agencies and Third Parties and guidance in Air Force Instruction 33-332, Air Force Privacy and Civil Liberties Program, Chapters 1, 2, and 6. I understand those transmitting personal information via email will exercise caution and adequately safeguard it in accordance with AFI 33-332, paragraph 2.5. and subparagraphs. The announcement message or any publicity regarding the award nomination will contain no privacy act information other than name, rank, and base of assignment."
NOTE: Statement of Release-- if permission is not granted, it will not preclude member from competing for the award.
The only acceptable scanned documents we will accept are those with signatures, such as endorsement letters and public release statements. Digitally signed endorsement letters and public release statements will be accepted. The AF Form 1206 must be sent in its original format (NOT SCANNED) and all other documents should be in MS Word document format.
This information is also available on the Awards and Boards section of the HQ RIO website. Packages are due to your servicing HQ RIO Detachment by the suspense. Please contact your servicing HQ RIO Detachment for questions or concerns.