Reservist how-to guide for transferring Post 9/11 G.I. Bill benefits

  • Published
  • By By HQ ARPC Public Affairs

Prior to applying for the Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) you must meet all eligibility requirements outlined in DoDI 1341.13, Change 1, Post-9/11 GI Bill and AFI 36-2649, Voluntary Education Program, Attachment 13. 

NOTE: Airmen must have a minimum of 6 years of service and no more than 16 years (active duty and/or Selected Reserve) effective Jan. 12, 2020, per the DoD policy change released in July 2019. 

Purple Heart Recipients: Effective Aug. 31, 2018, Purple Heart recipients currently serving in the armed forces may request a transfer of unused Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to eligible dependents regardless of whether the member has six or has exceeded 16 years in service. The transfer is allowed regardless of whether the member enters into an agreement to serve 4 additional years. View the related memorandum or the myPers article here.

Transfer of Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit requires a 4-year selected reserve service commitment. Before transferring benefits, make sure you have the retainability. As of 1 Aug 2013 anyone who applies for transfer will incur a 4-year service obligation. The service commitment begins on the date you submit your Transfer request. See the VA GI Bill website for more information. Your request must be approved within 6 months of the date you apply for transfer, or you will be required to reapply!

  1. Visit
  2. Click on Sign in and then select your login type (CAC or DS)
  3. Select Transfer my education benefits under the “I want to…” section
  4. Designate the number of months to each dependent (any dependent who is not allocated at least one (1) month of benefits will be ineligible for transferred benefits after the Airman retires/separates/is deceased in accordance with AFI 36-2649, Attachment 13, A13.
  5. Acknowledge all statements on the application
  6. Select Submit Request (status in MilConnect will change to Submitted)
    • HQ ARPC will review your application and issue a myPers notification to you.

Upon receipt of the Initial Notification email from the myPers-TFSC you will receive the Statement of Understanding in your MyPers account.

Enlisted Members: Sign a Statement of Understanding to agree with the required service commitment and ensure your expiration term of service covers the amount of time to meet the commitment. Extend or re-enlist as needed.

Officers: Sign a Statement of Understanding and return. No other action is required.

Purple Heart Recipients:

Respond to the incident with the following statement: "I am a Purple Heart Recipient requesting TEB approval IAW DTM-18-006"

All other applicants:

  1. Obtain required retainability plus one (1) month to meet eligibility (if applicable)
    Enlisted members who extend their enlistment for the purpose of transferring Post-9/11 GI Bill entitlement who later decide to cancel (revoke) TEB may not cancel the extension or the associated active duty service commitment. Canceling TEB is not a reason to cancel an executed Post-9/11 GI Bill extension in accordance with AFI 36-2606, Reenlistment in the United States Air Force, Chapter 6
  2. Sign the TEB Statement of Understanding (SOU). The TEB SOU will only appear in an Airman's vMPF (Self Service Actions/Transfer of Education Benefits) once 72 hours have passed since submitting the application in MilConnect AND the Airman meets retainability requirements

NOTE: Both actions above must be accomplished within 30 days of the myPers-TFSC Initial Notification or the application will expire and the Airman must reapply for TEB.

After you have secured the required retainability and signed the TEB SOU, the TFSC personnel will approve the TEB application in MilConnect within 3 duty days. To determine the status of your application, visit the MilConnect website. Upon approval, you will receive an additional notification. If you have questions regarding your application, you may respond to your myPers incident under My Account. Once you have logged on to My Account, select the Transfer of Educational Benefits case file by clicking on the incident/case with the subject of TEB.

For more information on Post-9/11 GI Bill TEB, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website, or contact the myPers - Total Force Service Center.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Related Resources